1. The function and objective of Revenue Department is to carry out the Administration relating to land and land revenue and allied subjects. The Department administers, controls and regulates the activities and functions relating to land and land revenue and other allied matters as enumerated in Item 18 and Item 45 of the Second List (State List) of the Seventh Schedule to the Constitution of India and as laid down in the Land Revenue Code and other related laws and enactments.
2. The Revenue Department has got multifarious functions. The Department conducts survey of land and prepares, maintains, updates and preserves the land records. It prepares, maintains and issues the records-of-rights. It makes allotment and settlement of government lands and issues periodic leases and Pattas to settlement-holders. It assesses, collects and realizes land revenue from the settlement-holders of government lands. It registers and records any transfer or change of ownership of government lands that are allotted to and settled with settlement-holders.
The Department also determines, decides and settles any boundary disputes arising amongst settlement-holders.
3. The Revenue Department also deals with land acquisition matters. It is the authority that acquires land for other Government Departments and Organizations. It conducts survey of the land to be acquired for government Departments for helping in preparation of land acquisition papers. It also advises other Departments in land acquisition matters and in matters relating to acquisition or disposal of land.
4. The other important function of the Revenue Department is the management of the Inter-district boundary in the State, the Inter-State boundary with Assam and the International boundary with Bangladesh. The Department prepares, maintains and updates the State and district maps and the Inter-district boundary sheets.
5. The Department also prepares, maintains and updates the Inter-State boundary maps jointly with Assam and the Indo-Bangladesh international boundary strip maps jointly with Bangladesh. The repair, reconstruction and maintenance of boundary pillars along the Meghalaya sector of the Indo-Bangladesh boundary, is also carried out by the Revenue Department jointly with Bangladesh.
6. The other function of the Revenue Department is to provide relief to the people affected by natural calamities. The Department administers, controls and maintains the State Calamity Relief Fund, out of which financial assistance and relief is granted to persons affected by natural calamities, such as floods, earthquakes, cyclones and storms. And, now the new subject of Disaster Management has been added to the list of functions of the Revenue Department.
7. The Revenue Department is also conducting research on land tenure system in the State with a view to enabling the State Government to formulate a comprehensive legislation on land, land tenure, and land rights for the whole State.
8. The Revenue Department also conducts the Survey and Settlement Training of the State Civil Service and State Police Service officers and other departmental officers of the Government.